The Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth (CSP) is a research and training entity at the Department of Banking and Finance, University of Zurich (UZH).
Founded in 2017, the CSP developed out of the "Impact Investing for the Next Generation" research- and training program at the Harvard Kennedy School, and the prior Center for Microfinance at UZH.
Our goal is to move private wealth, at scale and globally, to sustainable finance, in order to advance sustainable development.
Our work is based on two important developments:
- Sustainable Finance has emerged as a key opportunity to deploy large amounts of capital for financial returns and positive social and environmental outcomes. Sustainable Finance can become a key driver for sustainable development.
- Private Wealth has become highly concentrated. Today, 0.7% of the global population control more than 50% of total private wealth, as well as many of the world’s largest conglomerates, companies, and foundations. Many wealth owners are deeply interested in Sustainable Finance, but lack the capacity to engage.
To bring these two phenomena together, our research and teaching work is uniquely positioned at the nexus of sustainable finance and private wealth.
We strategically research the key aspects, and empower students, wealth owners, and investment professionals, to engage more meaningfully in sustainable finance, and make sustainable development a reality.
We study the phenomenon of sustainable finance from various angles. This includes academic as well as practitioner research. We continue to leverage our unique access to the wealth owner community and strive to produce research outcomes that combine academic rigor with practical relevance.
- Sustainable Investing Capabilities of Private Banks Read more
Teaching & Executive Education
We disseminate our research insights to students, current and future private wealth owners, and investment and banking professionals and enable them to engage in sustainable finance. We turn knowledge into action.
Executive Education - Professionals
- CAS in Sustainable Finance Read more
- Sustainable Investing in Wealth Management Read more
- Impact Investing & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations Read more
Executive Education - Wealth Owners
- Harvard IRI/Zurich CSP Impact Investing for the Next Generation Read more
Wealth Owner Outreach & Community
Impact Investing Excursions for Wealth Owners
- South Africa, November 2019 Read more
- Brazil, February 2019 Read more
- South Africa, November 2018 Read more
- Rwanda, June 2018
- Kenya, February 2018
- Rwanda, February 2017
Alumni Reunions for Wealth Owners
- Alumni Reunion in Zurich, March 2020
- Alumni Reunion in Zurich, March 2019
Round Tables for Wealth Owners
- Wealth Owner Round Table in Zurich, August 2019 Read more (JPG, 86 KB)
- Wealth Owner Round Table at Art Basel, June 2019 Read more (PDF, 1405 KB)
- Wealth Owner Round Table in Oslo, May 2019 Read more (PDF, 654 KB)
- Wealth Owner Round Table in Zurich, January 2019
- Wealth Owner Round Table in London, December 2018
- Wealth Owner Round Table in Geneva, May 2018
- Wealth Owner Round Table in Zurich, April 2018
- Round Table in Zurich, November 2017
IRI Harvard/CSP Zurich Impact Investing for the Next Generation - Zurich, October 2019-March 2020
Get an overview, meet peers, and get engaged. This program is designed to help family office successors to understand impact investing, meet peers from around the world, and start to develop an investment and engagement strategy. The next cohort starts in October 2019 and we are taking applications now. If you are a family office next gen who wants to get started in impact investing read more and contact Britta Gruenig Castelli for the brochure and to find out whether it is the right program for you.
Impact Investing & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations - Zurich, May 2020
How to use public funds to attract private investment for high-impact enterprises addressing the SDGs? This actionable, practice-driven program is specifically designed for providers of public or philanthropic funding, who strive to maximize the impact of their grants or investments and want to be on top of the most innovative solutions and trends. The next course is in May 2020.
Current Events and Programs
>10-12: IRI/CSP Impact Investing for the Next Generation Module ”Understanding” at Harvard University, USA
>17: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Lisa Goldberg (University of California at Berkeley)
>24: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Peter Fiechter (University of Neuchatel)
>31: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Julian F. Kölbel (University of Zurich, DBF/CSP)
>7: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Julia Kapraun (Goethe University Frankfurt)
>7-8: Sustainable Investing in Wealth Management in Zurich
Read more and sign up
>14: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Alain Cohn (University of Michigan)
>20-22: CAS in Sustainable Finance Module “Sustainable Investing” in Zurich
Read more and sign up
>21: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Philipp Krüger (University of Geneva)
>28: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Ariane Szafarz (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
>28 November-03 December 2019: Impact Investing Excursion to South Africa
Read more and sign up
>5: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Stefano Ramelli (University of Zurich, DBF)
>12: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Matthias Kruttli (Federal Reserve Board)
>19: Sustainable Finance Research Seminar in Zurich
with Caroline Flammer (Boston University)